9/14/2015

Hot Japanese Actress: Okamoto Tao


You might have seen this stunning woman on the big screen, and may have, like myself, wondered "who the hell is that?"

Meet Okamoto Tao (岡本 多緒 surname first), a 30-year-old actress who obviously was first a model, simply known as Tao, working as the 'face' of Ralph Lauren.

Born on May 22, 1985 in Chiba (not sure if they mean the city or the prefecture), the 1.77m (5'-9.5") stunner is one of those women that made my jaw drop when I came across her. So to speak.

Carrying the svelte measurements of 33-23.5-34 inches (it sounds more scary to me in Japanese as 84-59.5-86.5cm), Okamoto has rich black hair and luscious brown eyes, similar to my own, but without being bloodshot from lack of sleep.
Typical Japanese knocked-knees or doing the model strut?
In case you are wondering, she's a size 4 (US) and 34 (EU), which means absolutely nothing to me, which I think is exactly what women want men to know about female sizes - which was also why I felt obligated to pass along her 'three-sizes'… a term Japanese teenagers use (in English) when talking female measurements. 

Beginning as a model in Japan when she was 14-years-old in 1999, she pretty much took the time to finish school and find herself before diving back in to modeling again in 2006, moving to Paris to work under the umbrella of the Elite Model Management agency in an effort to become an international model. 

No surprise that a long, lean Japanese woman was considered unique on the international catwalk scene, and she was very much in demand, strutting their stuff for various high end fashion designers such as Ralph Lauren, Chanel, Louis Vuitton and Yves Saint Laurent. 

Effortlessly performing Christian Dior turns on those long legs of hers (I used to model when I was 22 - I know… I don't believe it either), Okamoto moved to New York City in 2009 and famously chopped her hair into a bowl cut - something that really created a stir in the fashion industry, causing designer Philip Lim to have all the models of his Fall/Winter 2009 show to don that hairstyle. 

Now… although I am pretty sure I have seen Okamoto in her bowl cut five years ago, she caught my eye in her film debut as Yashida Mariko (surname first), playing opposite Hugh Jackman's Wolverine in the grossly under-appreciated 2013 comic book-related flick: brother search The Wolverine.

As she confirms, one of the reasons she got the role, was because there were few Japanese actresses who could speak English.
 See? Study harder!!!

While I am sure that language played a huge role in her landing the part, the fact is she is also stunning - which doesn't always mean one can act well… but she does, and did, in The Wolverine.

In 2014, she played Sakagami Toko (surname first) in the Japanese television 1der4  mystery mini-seriesChi no Wadachi.

She is now (2015) playing the reoccurring role of Chiyoh, Lady Murasaki's handmaid in the 3rd season of the American television show Hannibal. Admittedly, I have not watched this program… 

Upcoming?    

Okamoto recently landed the role of Mercy Graves in the DC Comics-related film Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice. Mercedes Mercy Graves III, is the personal assistant to Superman arch-foe Lex Luther. The character first appeared in the 1996 Superman: The Animated Series, and has crossed over into mainstream DC comics (like Harley Quinn did, and like Livewire did). 
Sneakpeek of Tao Okamoto (left) as Mercy Graves from the upcoming Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie.
I hope Okamoto does well… I have never been a fan of the Batman/Superman team-ups that DC used to cram down my throat in the incredibly mislabeled World's Finest Comics

Of course, the movie does have a 'v' in the title, implying the two main heroes will be at loggerheads with one another. 

I've never understood how Batman and Superman could even meet, what with Batman's adventures always occurring in the night or when the day sky is rainy, while Superman, that bastion of light and puppies only appears in the bright day time. 

I suppose it's not an engraved in kryptonite rule, but one the creators tend to follow in print.

She is also due to be in a 2016 movie called Crossroads, but I'm unsure in what role or even what the flick is about. 

Okamoto Tao… look for her.

Kanpai, 
Andrew Joseph
brother search: http://www.brothersearch.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment